Our Practice & History
Baton Rouge Cardiology Center is the trusted leader in heart and vascular care in the greater Baton Rouge area. Our team of board-certified physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses and support staff deliver high-quality care every day to patients dealing with serious conditions, both common and rare. As an independent medical practice, we specialize exclusively on the prevention, early detection and treatment of heart and vascular conditions. Patient care is individualized and focused, utilizing current treatment methods to improve the quality of life of individuals living in our community.
Our roots run deep in Baton Rouge. Dr. James Calvin was one of the first cardiologists in this region when, in 1965, he joined the internal medicine clinic on North Boulevard in Baton Rouge. Dr. T.R. Kilpatrick joined him two years later, and Dr. Boyd E. Helm became the third cardiologist at that clinic in 1975. They partnered in 1978 to start a cardiology clinic that in 1985 became known as Baton Rouge Cardiology Center.
As demand for services increased, the partners, along with several new doctors, moved to the current location on Brittany Drive in 1986. Our Cardiovascular Specialty Care Center, which houses an outpatient catheterization (cath) lab for diagnosing heart conditions, opened in 1993. Since then, we have continued to grow and open clinics closest to where our patients live to make care accessible and convenient.
Dr. James Calvin joins the internal medicine clinic on North Boulevard in Baton Rouge.
Dr. T.R. Kilpatrick joins the clinic.
Dr. Boyd E. Helm became the third cardiologist at the clinic.
Dr. James Calvin, Dr. T.R. Kilpatrick & Dr. Boyd E. Helm partner to form their own cardiology clinic.
Clinic officially becomes Baton Rouge Cardiology Center.
Baton Rouge Cardiology Center moves to Brittany Drive location to meet increased demand for services.
Dr. Joseph Cefalu joins the center.
Dr. Kevin Kilpatrick joins the center.
Dr. Terry Zellmer joins the center.
Cardiovascular Specialty Care Center opens.
Dr. Daniel Fontenot joins the center.
Dr. Harold Clausen, Dr. Fred Petty, and Dr. Henry Patrick joins the center.
Dr. Venkat Surakanti and Dr. Evens Rodney joins the center.
Dr. Darrin Breaux joins the center.
Dr. Boyd M. Helm joins the center.
Dr. Brian Swirsky joins the center.
Dr. Lance LaMotte and Dr. Nakia Newsome joins the center.
Dr. Steven Kelley and Dr. Donna Adams joins the center.
Dr. Steven A. Malosky joins the center.
Dr. Mark S. Pollet joins the center.
Hospital Affiliations & Privileges
Baton Rouge Cardiology Center is affiliated with hospitals, specialty hospitals and outpatient cath labs in the communities we serve. Hospital affiliations covers a wide variety of relationships between physicians, their practices, and hospitals.
- Assumption Community Hospital (an affiliate of Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center) (Napoleonville, LA)
- Baton Rouge General – Ascension (Prairieville, LA)
- Baton Rouge General – Bluebonnet (Baton Rouge, LA)
- Baton Rouge General – Mid City (Baton Rouge, LA)
- Cardiovascular Specialty Care Center (an Outpatient Cath Lab) (Baton Rouge, LA)
- Field Health System (Centreville, MS)
- Hood Memorial Hospital (Amite, LA)
- Our Lady of the Lake Ascension (Gonzales, LA)
- Our Lady of the Lake Livingston (Walker, LA)
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center (Baton Rouge, LA)
- Pointe Coupee General Hospital (New Roads, LA)
- Prevost Memorial Hospital (Donaldsonville, LA)
- Surgical Specialty Center of Baton Rouge (Baton Rouge, LA)
- St. James Parish Hospital (Lutcher, LA)
- The Spine Hospital of Louisiana at The NeuroMedical Center (Baton Rouge, LA)
- West Feliciana Parish Hospital (St. Francisville, LA)
- Woman’s Hospital (Baton Rouge, LA)