Free Smoking Cessation Program
Smoking is a risk factor for many cardiovascular conditions, but help is available to aid you in quitting. Call (225) 214-7730 to sign up for the free smoking cessation trust program.
The program is free through the Louisiana Smoking Cessation Trust (SCT) Fund. Criteria are:
- Must be a resident of Louisiana
- Smoked prior to Sept. 1, 1988
How does it work?
- Physician visits to arrange for cessation services available in the community
- Smoking cessation medications prescribed by a physician
- Group and individual counseling to support your quit attempts
- Telephone coaching and support of your quit attempts
- If you qualify for the program, nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) such as the patch, gum or lozenge, inhaler or spray is also covered.
Know Your Heart Disease Risk Factors
You may have an increased chance of developing heart disease if you are over age 35 and have even one of these risk factors:
- Family history of cardiovascular disease
- Shortness of breath, chest pain, irregular heartbeat, light-headedness, dizziness or loss of consciousness
- Previous heart attack or stroke
- Heart murmur diagnosis
- Alcohol dependence
- High blood pressure, diabetes or high cholesterol
- Sleep apnea
- Chronic lung condition
- Smoking/Nicotine Addiction
- Excess weight